[gear] Zoom H2 self-noise estimate

Subject: [gear] Zoom H2 self-noise estimate
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Sep 8, 2007 7:18 pm ((PDT))
A post to a Zoom discussion forum sheds some
light on the mic and preamp noise level of
the new Zoom H2 recorder.  The test results
show that the H2's EIN is somewhere around -115 dB
when using the internal mics.

The results improve (that is, there is less noise)
when a higher quality external mic is used. That
leads me to think that the H2's preamp is pretty
quiet.

This result is similar to a recorder like the
M-Audio Microtrack 2496.  Put another way, the
EIN is pretty good, but not great.

For $200, including internal microphones, the H2
continues to impress me as a great value, and a
good choice for a recordist on a budget.

Here's the link to the test results.  See the
post by "acousmod" on 8 Sept 07.  It's the post
with all the graphs and plots.

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9542

--oryoki