Re: [gear] Zoom H2 self-noise estimate

Subject: Re: [gear] Zoom H2 self-noise estimate
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sun Sep 9, 2007 7:14 am ((PDT))
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Could those numbers could be misleading?

I guess I should stick to my "pretty good but not great" assessment of
the H2 preamp, which is what you might expect at this price point.

The original poster states that the H2's noise floor is similar to his
DAT recorder.  Raimund Specht's test of a Sony DAT, made with
different methods, puts that at about -115 dB.

The original poster says only that the analyzed recordings were made
"in a quiet room" using the H2's internal mics.  Perhaps the method of
analysis yields values on a different sort of dB scale (there are
plenty to choose from).

One way this test differs from the procedure used by Raimund Specht
and others here is that during the test the preamp gain is not set to
its maximum, but rather to the point where the results sound good.
That's a gain setting around 100 of 127.

There has been speculation in other forums that the H2 controls gain
digitally, that is, after the analog to digital conversion.  Values
below 100 in the H2's gain setting may be the result of digital
reduction of the input, and values above 100 mean the signal is raised
digitally.  This might explain why the noise level goes up markedly
when the gain is set above 100.

--oryoki