Re: European montane mystery sound

Subject: Re: European montane mystery sound
From: "rombout_de_wijs" rombout_de_wijs
Date: Tue Aug 7, 2007 1:45 pm ((PDT))
Hi Chris,

Your sound resembles a song type I know from the Willow Tits in the
marsh area's in our Low Countries. This song type over here is only
performed occasionally in spring and is not very well known by Dutch
birders. I can imagine that the alpine Willow Tits will perform a
similar song type in the way you have recorded it.

Rombout de Wijs

--- In  "Chris Hails" <>
wrote:

> Isn't this a great group when friends you've never met go the extra
> mile to help you out ??!
>
> Thanks a lot for doing this Matthieu. I think I know Willow Tits
> pretty well and actually, somewhere in my "gut", a Redpoll makes more
> sense, they were definitely around during that trip but not singing
> (the ones I saw that is). Most reference material I can find is all
> about their rattling songs, but I cannot find much reference material
> on C.f.cabaret (which the Brits now recognise as a separate
> species "Lesser Redpoll" - see the BOU site). I will store this
> opinion away and chase it down: French birders who know the mountains
> need to be listened to. Thanks also for the link to that great
> Sonatura blog site that I had not seen before.
>
> Tero - thanks also for your Great Tit opinion, I know, I know, I am
> endlessly suspicious of that creature - but this time I think it is
> not.....(famous last words which I may have to eat !!).
>
> Thanks guys for your interest and encouHiragement with my dilema.
>
> Chris
>

> --- In  Matthieu Crocq
> <matthieu.crocq@> wrote:
> >
> > Chris Hails wrote:
> > >
> > >   Matthieu: you could be right about Greenfinch, although I have
> never
> > >   heard them do this before, but I can see where you are coming
> from.
>

> > Dear Chris:
> >
> > As a matter of facts, I may be wrong with my Greenfinch guess...
> oops!
> > I've asked two friends from the French nature recordists'
> association
> > Sonatura (*) and both of them (much stronger than I am at those
> > identification games!) think it's probably the alpine subspecies
> > of Meally Redpoll (Carduelis flammea cabaret). But they warn that
> > it may also be an atypical call of the alpine Willow Tit (Parus
> > montanus montanus), although the Meally Redpoll hypothesis seems
> > the best one.
> >

> > (*) Sonatura's audioblog is here : http://audioblog.sonatura.com

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: