Re: European montane mystery sound

Subject: Re: European montane mystery sound
From: "Matthieu Crocq" matthieucrocq
Date: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:00 am ((PDT))
Chris Hails wrote:

>   Matthieu: you could be right about Greenfinch, although I have never
>   heard them do this before, but I can see where you are coming from. My
>   other recordings of the Greenfinch "buzz" call differ from the "cheer"
>   componant in my mystery by being an ascending "buzz" note of slightly
>   lower frequency. Thanks for the pointer I willl continue to chase it
>   down !

Dear Chris:

As a matter of facts, I may be wrong with my Greenfinch guess... oops!
I've asked two friends from the French nature recordists' association
Sonatura (*) and both of them (much stronger than I am at those
identification games!) think it's probably the alpine subspecies
of Meally Redpoll (Carduelis flammea cabaret). But they warn that
it may also be an atypical call of the alpine Willow Tit (Parus
montanus montanus), although the Meally Redpoll hypothesis seems
the best one.

In the background, they also heard:

- two Common Chaffinches (Fringilla coelebs)
- two Winter Wrens (Troglodytes troglodytes)
- a Coal Tit (Parus ater) or maybe Goldcrest (Regulus regulus)
- a Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea)

Best regards,
Matthieu

(*) Sonatura's audioblog is here : http://audioblog.sonatura.com