Re: Shoeps Omnidrectional and Wide Cardiod Microphones

Subject: Re: Shoeps Omnidrectional and Wide Cardiod Microphones
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:39 pm ((PDT))
I'd be curious to hear Eric Benjamin's recommendation as he owns a
pair and measures off-axis response very carefully in his lab. I'd
probably go for the capsules with the high frequency "lift," the MK
Message: 2S.
Subject: Outdoor recording seems to be closer to "reverberant field"
applications  than "near field" in their reasoning and +4dB at 10K Hz
is not that much anyway:
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/mics-gen-characs.html#hallradius  I
chose the "diffuse field" MBHO omni capsules over their flat response
ones and was glad I did when I got a chance to compare them.

Along with the SASS, Curt Olson's easy to make and set-up barrier rig
designs are impressive for recording natural ambience with an omni
pair. I've used designs like the ones pictured at the bottom of his
report.  http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs.html  Rob
D.

--
Rob Danielson