Re: Cardiod v's omni in a reflector

Subject: Re: Cardiod v's omni in a reflector
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:19 pm ((PDT))
Under normal conditions (hand-held, "normal" wind) I would sacrifice
the edge of the cardioid in favor of the better wind and handling
noise characteristics of the omni.
There are, however, situations where the cardioid performs better: A
high-pitched singer amongst a lot of  branches with wind noise, for example=
.

Klas.

.

At 11:40 2007-07-21, you wrote:
>Thanks for your thoughts Walt and Paul for the information placed on file.
>Walt. I can see what you are saying by having a  deeper dish so the
>focal point within the dish. This statment " And more or less removes
>this "advantage" of a cardioid.", are implying that both types of mics
>are now equal.
>
>   When looking at the graph that Paul posted,( were the focal point is
>near the edge of the dish) its the cardioid has the edge. A clue how
>mics  behave in a deeper dish (were the mic is placed inside the dish)
>is on the Telinga site on picture gallery 4. Although this is a test it
>does indict below 5 000 Hz the omni has the edge and the cardioid has
>the edge above it. Maybe Klas can give his thoughts on that.
>
>David
>

>Walter Knapp wrote:
> >
> > Posted by: "no_mas_films"
> >
> > > Paul, thank you very much for posting this file! Although the book is
> > > long out of print, I think his conclusions are valid and will hold
> > > sway in my choice of microphones for the parabolic I am currently
> > > building. So far, I have purchased a used AT4041 from eBay and this
> > > passage reinforces it's use. Thanks again, and could you scan and
> > > post the rest of this book? :-) Chris
> >
> > Parabolas back then tended to have longer focal lengths relative to dis=
> > depth. This placed the mic out in the interference pattern in front of
> > the dish as described. A cardioid would not fully compensate for this.
> > Also, placed out that far it's wide pickup would include sound direct
> > from the side that was not part of the reflected sound. The real answer
> > was to go to dishes that were deeper relative to the focal length, thus
> > placing the mic within the dish. This is a better and more direct metho=
> > of compensating for the interference patterns. And more or less removes
> > this "advantage" of a cardioid. Most modern parabolic dishes are deeper=
.

> > To my mind the even better way to go is to set up the parabola as stere=
o.

> > Walt

> 20/07/2007 4:39 PM
> >

>"While a picture is worth a thousand words, a
>sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause
>
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01