Re: Renamed Site: Visit to the Master Recordists

Subject: Re: Renamed Site: Visit to the Master Recordists
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jul 9, 2007 8:49 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "George Paul"

> I will change over shortly to a different web authoring software where I =
can maximize the
> traffic and visits by web robots, etc.  I think the address buried in web=
.mac.com probably
> inhibits that.  I am doing the Iweb as a temporary measure just to get me=
 up and running.
> In fact, this is just to post to friends, such as people on this list, an=
d for the creative
> aspect.  Your advice is much appreciated.

My current web authoring software is Nvu. I switched to that from Home
Page, which is no longer viable being OS9. I don't use a canned website
but a regular server so have to handle all the management except for
registration with nameservers, etc. No limitations from the site other
than bandwidth and server space.

I use Fetch to manage the files on the server.

> I have several other recordings I will post there in the next few days, i=
ncluding a "record
> off" where Geoff recorded several species with his large Roche parabola a=
nd I used my
> little middling MS rig, which works well enough if the sound conditions a=
re right and you
> use proper technique.  I then have a comparison of what my middling MS ri=
g does for a
> nighthawk, and what Lang Elliott and Ted Mack can do with a SASS, where t=
he bird is
> swooping even lower over the microphone (I have to check with Lang to see=
 if he minds
> me posting that).

A more direct comparison between M/S and parabola would be using the
stereo Telinga. Then both would be stereo samples.

> But I should be getting some good recordings later this summer.  Taken by=
 Lang's
> enthusiasm for the SASS (he uses two Sennheisers of course), and struck b=
y the reviews of
> the AT 3032, including by Curt Olson, Walt Knapp is building me a SASS wi=
th the Audio
> Technica 3032s in it.  I will try to get some herp recordings with it as =
soon as it gets here,
> hopefully this coming week.

Just packing it up to ship today. All done. Hooked it up and it runs fine.

I'll be interested in how well it does. Other than a few samples with
some borrowed AT 3032's that are on my site use of this mic in a mod
SASS is more or less a unknown. Sounded fine here.

> I also want to build a modified Stereo AT 3032 Telinga rig and might need=
 help from the
> gear people here.  That is what I would use if I were doing parabola work=
, including with
> HD video.  Hope to go  down to Ecuador again in 6 months with the Parabol=
a and an HD
> videographer.

Lang's design using MKH-20's in a telinga parabola could be modified for
the AT 3032. I've built one of the MKH-20 version for a fellow
recordist, don't know of anyone else that's tried it.