Re: Renamed Site: Visit to the Master Recordists

Subject: Re: Renamed Site: Visit to the Master Recordists
From: "George Paul" geopaul7
Date: Sun Jul 8, 2007 10:11 am ((PDT))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> At 5:29 PM +0000 7/7/07, George Paul wrote:
> >I just noticed that the name of that site under construction was too
> >long.  I renamed it:
> >
> >http://web.mac.com/geopaul/iWeb/The%20Visit/Welcome%20%20.html
> >
> >Anybody interested can try this one.  Hopefully this will work.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >George Paul
> >

> Hi George--
> I enjoyed the reading and the recordings. Very well done.  What rig
> was  used for the "Cerulean Warbler Soundscape,"  your AT835 -> DAT
> or the mkh20-30 rig?
>
> Its good to see that the newer version of iWeb displays & handles
> text normally. This should help the web robots and folks find the
> info on your site much better than earlier versions.  To further this
> aim, you might consider using a main page title with more specificity
> as a page's title shows most prominently in web search results. For
> example, a page title like, "Learning from Master Nature Recordists"
> might attract the visitors you are after better than, "Welcome."  You
> probably assigned this name early in the authoring process; there
> should be a "properties" sub menu in iWeb where the title can be
> changed.  Congrats! Rob D.

Thanks Rob:  It is gratifying that someone is actually reading and listening.

I will change over shortly to a different web authoring software where I can
maximize the
traffic and visits by web robots, etc.  I think the address buried in
web.mac.com probably
inhibits that.  I am doing the Iweb as a temporary measure just to get me up
and running.
In fact, this is just to post to friends, such as people on this list, and for
the creative
aspect.  Your advice is much appreciated.

The Cerulean warbler soundscape was with my AT 835 ST > Sound Devices MP2 >
Sony
mini DAT.  Geoff was recording with the Sennheisers, but I don't have that
recording.

I have several other recordings I will post there in the next few days,
including a "record
off" where Geoff recorded several species with his large Roche parabola and I
used my
little middling MS rig, which works well enough if the sound conditions are
right and you
use proper technique.  I then have a comparison of what my middling MS rig does
for a
nighthawk, and what Lang Elliott and Ted Mack can do with a SASS, where the
bird is
swooping even lower over the microphone (I have to check with Lang to see if he
minds
me posting that).

But I should be getting some good recordings later this summer.  Taken by
Lang's
enthusiasm for the SASS (he uses two Sennheisers of course), and struck by the
reviews of
the AT 3032, including by Curt Olson, Walt Knapp is building me a SASS with the
Audio
Technica 3032s in it.  I will try to get some herp recordings with it as soon
as it gets here,
hopefully this coming week.

Then, it is off to ECUADOR to visit cloud forests, lowland Amazon rainforests,
and then
locales on the Western slope of the Andes as well.  I will be making stereo
recordings with
the SASS, and doing some digiscoping photograpy.  Working with those recordings
should
keep me busy for a while.  I am also considering Curt's modifed 1 x 6 head
array.  He gets
great recordings from it, but for international travel it is probably not as
convenient as the
SASS manufactured unit.

I also want to build a modified Stereo AT 3032 Telinga rig and might need help
from the
gear people here.  That is what I would use if I were doing parabola work,
including with
HD video.  Hope to go  down to Ecuador again in 6 months with the Parabola and
an HD
videographer.

Will keep you posted as the little site is updated.

George Paul