Recording "Hiss"

Subject: Recording "Hiss"
From: "wildlifeanalysis" wildlifeanalysis
Date: Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 am ((PDT))
Hello

Listening back to some recent recordings, I am noticing hiss. The
recordings were taken on a pond where it was very very quiet. It is
the beginning of the season and there are no insects to speak of. At
the moment I do not have the measured frequency range of the hiss, but
it is in the upper mids/ lower highs. I believe this hiss is fairly
typical with condenser mics (in my limited experience) and perhaps
with electronic audio gear in general.

The rig I am using is an MKH30/40 pair -> Fostex FR2LE. No preamp
other than the one built into the FR2LE. The trim and the input knobs
on the FR2LE were set to their maximums to get a decent saturation
(which is probably my first clue). Maxing out these settings were also
necessary in louder environments.

So here is the question(s): Is this hiss generated by the mics, the
preamps, or both? Would adding a good preamp to get a better
saturation help reduce the affects of this hiss?

I do not have other gear to do any mashup testing, so any advice from
those with more experience would be greatly appreciated. My hunch is
that the FR2LE preamps are either not clean enough or are not powerful
enough when using an MKH pair considering all the postings (and specs)
I have seen touting the low self noise of the mics.

Best
David