Re: Man made noise and nature recording

Subject: Re: Man made noise and nature recording
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 am ((PDT))
Walt Wrote

<<<<Lately I have been thinking we are making a error in publishing
recordings without man made noise. As we all know it's extremely rare
you can record for long anywhere without picking up man made noise.
Maybe what the public should be given is what's really out there. So
they will learn just what people are really doing to the environment.
After all people are just another species of animal, so are a subject
for "nature recording".

Keep at it if you want "clean" recordings, fieldcraft is not just
sneaking up on the animals that are calling. It's surprising what you
can do. For instance here at my house it's close to impossible to avoid
man made noise, the sound of bulldozers tearing the forests up to make
subdivisions and such like. Getting to be a pretty steady sound here. Or
the gas turbine power plant only 5 miles from here. But, if I just go to
the back of my place down in the creek bottom I'm largely shielded from
all that. Hunt for places like that.

Or try recording on sundays, generally the quietest day of the week.

Walt>>>>>

I have been making recordings of environmental noises, man made and creatur=
for many years and using it as a resource for conservation groups, National
Parks etc.

In fact last years protocol on the Arctic National Refuge had this in mind
in case they ever wanted to start drilling up there, we had a =93base-line=
=94

Next month the same team goes to Katmai NP to record for the National Park.
They have decided that sound be used as a natural resource (a huge step in
the right direction) Bernie Krause will be in Brooks Camp, Kevin Colver wil=
be at Nonvianuk and I at Hallo Bay (where Timothy Treadwell met his match)

There has been increasing amounts of man made noises at the park and in
their wisdom have decided to do something about it=85

Not to mention we will post our work here in July :-)

Remember, every recording you make is a scientific piece of information. I
have Biomes that no longer exist and over 100,000 hours of the stuff. Our
ever changing world is a precious place to live in, it is bound to have an
impact with 6=BD billion people exhausting her resources=85=85

Martyn

Martyn Stewart

Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:

http://www.naturesound.org

Redmond. Washington. USA

N47.65543 W121.98428

e-mail: