Re: An un-recordable sound?

Subject: Re: An un-recordable sound?
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Mon May 28, 2007 12:46 am ((PDT))
> Your second link is dead, so I can't check, but you may be comparing
> capacity factors to percentages of generated power ... not exactly the
> same thing.

I was trying to be charitable, it's a drag that the DTI moved the secod
document which did pick out the intermittency. Of course when wind
farms are proposed full load is always quoted to sell the idea.

The Lowestoft turbine is unusual in that you can get really close to
it. Most of the swoosh sound seems to come off the end of the turbine
blade as it comes closest to the mic. I've never consciously heard a
wind farm at a distance.

Low frequency sounds seem to be easier to record than for me to hear -
I once recorded a dawn chorus at Aldringham heath, which is about two
miles from Sizewell nuclear power station in Suffolk (UK). I use a
MKH30/40 and threw out the whole recording on playback as it was
polluted by hum and some harmonics. I never heard this in the field,
and on going back there try as I might I could not hear the hum. I can
hear it if I go much closer to the power station on the beach path.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: