Re: An un-recordable sound?

Subject: Re: An un-recordable sound?
From: "Mark Fischer" aguasonic
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 7:44 am ((PDT))
Good morning,

--- In
<<Can you pinpoint exactly where? I'd love to give it a go someday.
> I'm in Marin so it isn't far.>>
>
> Possibly closer to you, I think, would be the massive wind farm in
> the Altamont Pass, just east of Livermore, off I 580.
Actually, nope. This is the Solano wind-farm. From Marin, out to
Fairfield, east on 12 towards Rio Vista, south at the 113 junction
then left on Montezuma... a map is at: http://tinyurl.com/23usx3

The ones at Altamont are the high-speed turbines that have been in the
news because of bird strikes. These are giant, slow-turning turbines
that do not have that issue.

Yes, it is a 'non-natural' sound, to the extent that humans are
non-natural. Still, it is in the environment, and another poster
likened the sound to the difficulty of other 'soft' sounds like ocean
or a breeze in the trees, so the challenge is similar.

Recorded on a Marantz 622 with a Sennheiser omni. I'd post the result,
but you can't hear what I am describing, so that would be moot. The
conditions at the time were not ideal, there were winds at the
surface, too, and near the river, so you have the additional problem
of waves on the rocks. I will be waiting for ideal conditions (winds
aloft, calm at the surface) and give it another shot.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Mark
~~~~