Re: Understanding bit-depth conversion and dithering

Subject: Re: Understanding bit-depth conversion and dithering
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed May 23, 2007 9:11 pm ((PDT))
At 2:03 PM -0700 5/23/07, Martyn Stewart wrote:
>The technical side to this group at the best of times gets out of hand as =
>what this group was  originally set up to be.
>
>I hardly ever see recordings made out in the field only theory, I have a 7=
22
>& a 744 sound devices recorder, I will record in the field at 16bit and
>24bit simultaneously in a quiet environment with the same mics at the same
>gain.

Hi Martyn--
We don't expect there to be much difference unless the location is
very quiet-- as with one where maximum gain would be used. It might
not be necessary to run two recorders at the same time. You can low
noise mics and one recorder and record at 16bit depth for 15 minutes
and then record at 24 bit depth for 15 minutes. Longer if there is
air traffic. Rob D.