FR2-LE Mic Pre Gain (was Greetings and an FR2 LE review

Subject: FR2-LE Mic Pre Gain (was Greetings and an FR2 LE review
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon May 14, 2007 7:45 am ((PDT))
Thank you Davids and Dobride for your very useful observations.

It occurred to me that there could be a lower than ideal gain issue
with the FR2-LE while studying Curt's files. I believe he is planning
more high gain tests at both 16 and 24 bits so we might be able to
address a couple of topics at once.

Hopefully, with tests, we'll determine that the FR2-LE's 24 bit
recording ability enables one to make up for a good part of any pre
gain limitations encountered when recording ambience in quiet
locations.

Should you have more than one recorder to do an a/b comparison with,
you can contribute data by making two fifteen minute recordings back
to back in the same place with the same mics and the two recorders--
both at Maximum gain. Pick the quietest~ 5 sec moment from both
recordings (the thinnest section on the wave form) and export them
untouched and post them. A remote location would be great but the
sounds on most any location will "settle" into a fairly even and
matched blend of distant sounds if one generated 15 minutes to select
from. If there is any air traffic, you may need to go to 30 minutes.

These questions should be informative to study this in principle too. Rob D=
.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts