Re: FR2-LE Mic Pre Gain (was Greetings and an FR2 LE review

Subject: Re: FR2-LE Mic Pre Gain (was Greetings and an FR2 LE review
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon May 14, 2007 8:29 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Scott. I see no low pre gain issue with the FR2-LE in your
comparison. The file produced by the FR2-LE at full gain, is slightly
more saturated than the Hi-MD's at rec level "26."  As with Curt's
test, there's more bottom-end response with the FR2-LE and Scott's
FR2-LE sample demonstrates significantly less hiss than the
Rolls->Hi-MD combination. There's noise in the MKH 30-40-> Rolls->
Hi-MD combo starting as low as 3Khz in Scott's test which I have not
encountered with my NT1-A->Rolls->HiMD tests. Perhaps we'll see if
that is repeated in Curt's test.  In this simple A/B comparison, the
FR2LE is considerably darker in the high end than I would have
anticipated. However, the FR2-LE's noise in this part of the spectrum
is so much lower that I would not be concerned even if the pre has
some high Hz roll-off. I've saved the files in case we get a couple
more to corroborate.

The fact the the noise difference is greater between Scott's
mkh30-40->Rolls->Hi-MD and mkh30-40->FR2-LE comparison and my
NT1-A->Rolls->Hi-MD and NT1-A->744T comparison is curious (and
inconsistent), but the Fostex is looking very well suited for our
needs.   Rob D.

  = = = =

--
Rob Danielson