Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon May 14, 2007 8:58 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Raimund Specht"

> Sure, even 8 bits could be an adequate bit depth under certain
> circumstances...

Works pretty good for recording at conferences...

> The fact that ATRAC and MP3 very often do not much affect the
> subjective sound quality of nature recordings is an indication for the
> low dynamic range that is actually in such recordings. Both ATRAC and
> MP3 internally reduce the bith depth for certain frequency intervals
> even below 8 bits.

What they do is make more intelligent use of the bits available.
Uncompresed sound uses the same bit rate even if it's not needed, say
like a silent part between the sounds as a example. In compression like
ATRAC bits are allotted more according to need. So you need less bit
rate for the same quality of sound. Not sure I'd say they were
necessarily low dynamic range.