Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon May 14, 2007 8:37 am ((PDT))
At 10:49 AM -0400 5/14/07, Walter Knapp wrote:

>And vs all the rest of the sound quality problems of nature recording
>24bit is really a tempest in a teapot. Get out in the wilds and record,
>and see just how much 24 bit helps you. Not very much if any.

? Did you listen to this?
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/LowSaturation/AudioClips/16vs24bit-4=
Message: 0dBCompare.
Subject: mp3
The levels are at -40dB very similar to those I typically encounter
recording ambience at night.
As QT movie:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/LowSaturation/AudioClips/16vs24bit-4=
Message: 0dBCompH263_IMA4.
Subject: mov
Rob D.

>It's a red herring to talk about recording with low gain as few do so.

So to be clear, I'm writing about max or near max pre gain and
resulting low sound file saturation due to low ambient sound levels.
This is the primary condition where 24 bits can realty shine. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts