Re: Omni spacing for nature recording...

Subject: Re: Omni spacing for nature recording...
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Thu May 10, 2007 4:37 am ((PDT))
John Hartog wrote: "A lot of the nature recordists are using omnis.
Are you considering free space or a barrier?"

I'm open to suggestions in that regard. OSS makes a lot of sense to
me, but I have yet to try it.

John Hartog also wrote: "Most of my omni experience has been with
small lavalieres using a tree or rock as a barrier. For trees I'd say
25cm diameter would be a good happy medium. Here's one example from my
sound journal"...

Thanks very much for that advice, John, and the lovely sound file!
This weekend I am heading into the Blue Mountains in Sydney to try out
a pair of DPA 4053 omnis in different techniques/configurations. I'll
report back to the group if I come up with anything worth talking
about. (If I'm really lucky I'll find a lyrebird doing its repertoire
of mimicry - a wonderful sound experience, but I don't think this is
the best time of year for it.)

- Greg Simmons