Re: The Greatest Natural Sound Recordings in History: Group Files

Subject: Re: The Greatest Natural Sound Recordings in History: Group Files
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun May 6, 2007 10:04 pm ((PDT))
Walt, you wrote,

>The majority have no or little scientific value. The detailed habitat
>and site documentation is not there. Often there is no precise location,
>no weather data and so on. For bioacoustics, the equipment is unreliably
>calibrated if it's calibrated at all. There is no detailed protocol
>statement. That does not make them of no value, just seriously wounds
>any scientific value. It especially makes elaborate analysis of the
>sonograms and so on of poor value. Unpublishable, the pros can't use it.

I'm painfully aware that much of that applies to my efforts. I think
the only solution will be to make the collection of most of that data
automatic. Again, if the lowly .jpg carries with it the camera and
exposure data, why not the lowly .wav carrying mic id, recorder type
and settings, location and time...with an easy way to note additional
stuff while recording.

-Dan Dugan