Re: budget mic choices

Subject: Re: budget mic choices
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:42 am ((PDT))
<<The "shotgun" contenders are:
MKE-300 18dBA 16mV/Pa (+/-2.5dB) ($379AU)
NTG-2 18dBA 15mV @ 94dB (+/-2dB) ($305AU)
AT-897 17dBA 10mV (8.9mV battery) @ 94dB ($333AU)
Using self-noise as the primary selection criteria the AT-897 seems
to be the obvious choice. The '897's low sensitivity is probably the
main concern but the preamp in the RH1 should have enough gain to cope.
Does this sound like a reasonable choice at the price point??>>

Given only 1 db difference between them all I would say self noise
should NOT be the primary criteria for selection. I think you should
listen to them all & determine which sounds best. Shotguns are
designed primarily for voice pickup at relatively close distance & do
some audio 'damage' in order to obtain good off axis rejection. I'd
check each of these mics out in your intended application, which I
presume will be distant nature recording, to see if they are
appropriate, & relatively free from artifacts.

Scott Fraser