Re: budget mic choices

Subject: Re: budget mic choices
From: "Chuck B" cgbragg
Date: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:05 am ((PDT))
Paul Jacobson wrote:

> Using self-noise as the primary selection criteria the AT-897 seems
> to be the obvious choice. The '897's low sensitivity is probably the
> main concern but the preamp in the RH1 should have enough gain to cope.

    I use an AT815 (the longer shotgun) with a "line matching
transformer" which is supposed to increase the volume from the mic. You
will need a conversion cable (XLR to mini plug) and I figured for the
extra $20 a combination of conversion cable and transformer wasn't a bad
idea. I'm happy with the results, first with an older minidisc and now
with the RH1. Now, is it snake oil? I can't tell because it's the only
way I can hook up the mic. Others may step in here and comment, please.
    I see on the B&H site they offer one of these (HOSA MIT-156) as an
accessory for $20. I paid $40 for the Shure A96F.

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager
Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society