Re: schoeps ms

Subject: Re: schoeps ms
From: "thxdave" thxdave
Date: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:45 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "Greg Simmons"
<> wrote:

> "By the way, I'm still wondering if anyone has any luck shockmounting
> a whole stereo bar, for walking around with an ORTF/NOS setup like a
> crazy person...? e.g., Schoeps CMC6/MK4s with W 20 R 1 windshields? Or
> is that a foolhardy quest?"
>
> There is an Australian location recordist who has an ORTF pair of
> Schoeps CCM5s mounted sideways in a modified Rycote (he had to turn
> the handle around 90 degrees). He's travelled all around the world
> with it and reckons it works very well...
>
> - Greg Simmons

I've used the Schoeps stereo bar with a pair of W20's on my CMC64's
but I've always used it on a stand seen here:
http://www.morrisonphotographics.com/public/mics/ortf.jpg
I'm not really sure if I could hand-hold this rig quietly or not. One
thing you can do with the Schoeps shockmount is change the elastics
from a "stiff" set to a softer version. They usually recommend the
stiff rubber bands for the heavier rigs but that extra tensioning
might transmit hand movements too much. However, for the amount of
money that Schoeps charges, I think their shock mount is a plastic
piece of junk! I usually substitute an Audio Technica mount instead or
I fire up my MKH30/60 rig instead but that stereo Rycote enclosure is
HUGE! ;)