Re: schoeps ms

Subject: Re: schoeps ms
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:03 pm ((PDT))
Well, since I almost always record handheld with a 40hz roll-off
filter engaged, unless I'm recording something with information down
that low, I've never noticed any problems hand-holding.

The rig IS more prone to mechanical noise, than a stereo one, I would
never claim otherwise. But I find the isolation sufficient for hand-
holding, and the benefit of the small size outweighs any detrimental
effects of a smaller suspension on isolation.

Usually to be safe, if I'm recording without the filter, I'll mount
it. But I have recorded plenty with the filter off, and handheld,
when for instance recording cars or jets, but not so much nature sounds.

Curiously, why would you be concerned about recoding 30Hz handheld in
a quiet environment? What do you think is down there that you want to
record? If I was recording birds or water, I'd probably even roll off
steeper without any fear.

Tim