Re: schoeps ms

Subject: Re: schoeps ms
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:20 pm ((PDT))
Well the larger stereo one will absorb more of the 'handling' for the
reason that the bands are looser. The mics are allowed to sway more
than they can in the mono. In the mono, the bands are tighter, and
the mics aren't allowed to move as much. Also because of the air
space between the mics and the wall of the zeppelin being important
for wind resistance, the mono size zepp with stereo mics inside, it
will take a performance hit. Not MUCH I don't think, but certainly some.

I don't know how you would shock-mount a stereo bar. The easiest
would be to mount to mono zeppelins, as you note. This would be
pretty cumbersome though.

You could use the 'slide over' Rycotes, which depending on wind
amount, would probably suffice. This would be much more 'hand-hold-
able' than two mounted zeppelins.

The 722 does have configurable roll offs, which is nice. You can
choose I think 40, 80, 120, 160, and 6, 12, 18 or 24dB per octave.
There might not be a 6, maybe it's just 12, 18, 24... I don't have it
in front of me. Which is nice, you can easily choose a filter that
you like.

I would still probably argue that very rarely do you want to record
below 40 or even 60 really, unless there is something down there
specific to your recording. Even if there is a lot of low end in your
sound, with a low cut at about 40, you're still going to get plenty
of low end in your recording. I think I normally leave the 40hz cut,
with a 12db slope, on most of the time.

Tim