Re: Recorder Advice

Subject: Re: Recorder Advice
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Mar 3, 2007 10:00 am ((PST))
aaron s wrote:

> Two Hi-MD brand new [2 years ago], four months on the
> Manu Road, One broken Hi-MD, two failed disc and a
> months worth of lost data.

Wow, that must have been extremely frustrating!  Which model Hi-MD
recorder broke? Did you figure out what happened?

The primary issue with problem discs is the recorder's failure to
properly write the table of contents data at the end of the recording
session.  This can be caused by draining the battery to the point that
the recorder stops, or by moving the recorder (e.g., walking with it)
while it's trying to write the TOC to the disc.

Discs can become contaminated by fungus in a humid environment, or by
dirt in a dusty environment, but these problems are less common.
Dropping a disc into the mud is another way to make it unreadable
(don't ask how I know this...)

Unfortunately, no one has yet figured out a way to retrieve data from
an unreadable Hi-MD disc.  There was a trick to use with standard MDs
with a damaged TOC, but that doesn't work with Hi-MD.

I'm glad to hear that your experience with flash memory machines
turned out better.  Which sounds better to you, your recordings from
the Edirol R-09 or the M-Audio Microtrack 2496?

--oryoki