Re: Introduction and some questions

Subject: Re: Introduction and some questions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:48 am ((PST))
At 1:54 AM -0800 2/23/07, dwight muller wrote:
> [...]
>creating a paradise forest that in time will
>deliver all our food needs with enough to share
>with the local peope too! We are surrounded by
>the most amazing nature and it is teeming with
>birds and creatures of all shapes and sizes.
>  =A0
>   I have had an interest in nature and the
>sounds of nature since I was a small boy growing
>up here. I remember making recordings down at
>the river near our home with a clunky cassette
>deck that was leading edge in its day - that was
>back in the early '70s when I was just entering
>my teens.
>  =A0
>   I came across a book and cd by Bernie Krause
>about five years ago and was so taken by it that
>I started to make recordings whenever I came
>home from Europe for the Xmas break with the
>family. That cd has the jaguar giving us a
>lecture on it - what a fantastic sound, the
>creature's use of harmonic singing is amazing!
>Anyone who claims that there is no meaning in
>that is deaf and blind - Bernie we are forever
>indebted to you for allowing us to share that
>extraordinary recording! Thank you!
>  =A0
>   Now that I am living in a relatively unspoilt
>natural environment again I am keen to make and
>share quality recordings via the net. The local
>tribal people have also still a measure of their
>cultural heritage intact as far as the singing
>and language are concerned. I am hoping to get a
>lot of that on media too. My friend and I have
>recently embarked on a training to become
>traditional healers/shamans or what they call
>Sangomas here and the ceremonies we attend as
>part of our training are rich in song and dance
>- magical and powerful sounds that have hardly
>been heard outside the confines of the tribal
>areas.
>  =A0
>   I have the most rudimentary of equipment at
>the moment and would like to get as much info on
>how to make the most of it and I suspect I am in
>the right place for that! :) In time I would
>like to invest in higher quality equipment and
>hope to find the right combo in consultation
>with you all. What I have at the moment is as
>follows:
>  =A0
>   Sony Minidisc recorder MZ-R30 (out of the digital ark!)
>   Sony Stereo microphone ECM-MS957
>   Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio version 8.0b (build 77)
>  =A0
>   I run the software on an Acer Aspire 3620 notebook with the following s=
etup:
>  =A0
>   Operating System
>     Platform:                Windows XP
>     Version:                 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
>     Language:                English
>     System locale:           English
>     User locale:             English
>   Processor
>     Class:                   Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.60=
GHz
>     Identifier:              GenuineIntel
>     Number of processors:    1
>     MMX available:           Yes
>     SSE available:           Yes
>     SSE2 available:          Yes
>     SSE3 available:          No
>   Display
>     Primary:                 1280x800x32
>   Memory
>     Physical memory:         514.4 MB
>     Paging memory available: 1,254.8 MB
>     Virtual memory possible: 2,097.0 MB
>  =A0
>   The recordings I have made to date are not bad
>but suffer from a constant low level noise
>signal and a definite DC offset. The offset I
>have been able to remedy easily enough but the
>noise I am at a loss as to how to eradicate
>without eliminating valuable content at the same
>time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am
>still a relative newbie in the use of the sound
>software and am looking forward to a lot of
>learning about sound 'doctoring'.
>  =A0
>   Regards
>   Dwight Muller

Hi Dwight--
Exciting. Welcome! In terms of noise, your mic
with 25 dB(A) self noise and low output
(sensitivity) of 8 mV/Pa is the weakest link in
your current rig.  There are many options and to
achieve a _system_ of components that will
address your immediate and future needs can
require some study.  Of course, it helps to give
us an idea of your budget. I think it can make
streamline the process a bit for you to consider
your priorities, including factors like these: