Re: Zoom H4 modification.

Subject: Re: Zoom H4 modification.
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:38 am ((PST))
At 02:13 2007-02-18, you wrote:
>Here's a note, reportedly written by a Zoom engineer, describing the
>H4's "noise problem."
>
>"We have figured out that the noise problem is caused by the analog
>circuit board layout. So, it's not possible to solve by updating the
>system software...

Yes, that is what I assumed in my first evaluation here. It sounded
very typical, just as when the chopper to a phantom power device is
making trouble. Still, most noise I had was solved by the new
firmware, but - as I said - "knock wood".... tonight I may her noise
again... sigh...
It's really a pity, as it is the only budget card recorder with good
mic inputs. Edirol and MT are much noisier.

One has to look at noise from two different perspectives:
If you do sonogram and research, or simple documentation - self noise
is no problem.
But as soon as you want to make "beautiful" recordings, which most
recordists want, self noise is by far the biggest problem.

So far I have found only three budget ways to get acceptable self
noise - Sony HiMD, Zoom and - surprisingly - some iRiver MP3 recorders.

Klas.

>Noise was available because battery does not apply
>enough to load change. So noise is disappeared when you use a supplied
>AC adaptor...Also, noise level depends on a SD memory brand, because
>power consumption is different."
>
>So far I have not seen reports listing which SD cards might be more
>likely to cause noise issues due to higher power requirements.
>
>Another web site has links to recordings that demonstrate the "noise
>problem".
>
>"There is an audible (and visible as a wave form in a DAW) periodic
>tone (corresponding to the blinking of the H4 access light) on all
>recordings made with battery power. (This tone may also be there at
>24/96, but I cannot hear it.) There is no tone present when using the
>AC adapter.
>
>Here are links to sample recordings:
>1. access light tone 44.1.wav  http://www.box.net/public/xe7yvzpezb
>2. access light tone 48.wav    http://www.box.net/public/sobave36ct