Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab( is now hogs hair)

Subject: Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab( is now hogs hair)
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:48 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "Martyn Stewart"

> At the bottom of page 3 you will find a "Hogs hair diffuser. This one is
> distributed by location sound in California. It is practically the same a=
> the one I have..

Years ago I built a copy of this and tried it out in Georgia rain. Not
only will the hogs hair not carry the water off to the side, but it
spits fine droplets out the bottom.

Might work a little better at limiting rain penetration in the fine
misty rain that's typical in Washington, but ours often comes in big drops.

At the time I was more interested in stopping the sound of rain on a
telinga. It took 3-4 1" layers of this to do that. That's a pretty bulky
batch of material to juggle.

I expect that different brands of the material may differ in fiber
density, but every brand I've seen the fibers  curl around, no way they
would conduct water away.

I have this material on every intake to our central heat pump to cut
down on dust accumulation in the ducts. It's available in the majority
of hardware stores in the area. Check home depot, lowes, etc.

Only way I know of carting the water away is to line the underside with
a coated fabric.

There is also a finer mesh material that's very similar. One sees it in
places like the fan intakes on some computer equipment and such. I tried
it as well, but the big drops would make audible thumps on it.