Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab( is now hogs hair)

Subject: Re: mic windscreen tests from Army Research Lab( is now hogs hair)
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:21 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "Martyn Stewart"

> I thought I could just start walking around after surgery but this mornin=
> the pain is throbbing, ouch!!!

My mom had knee replacement surgery a while back. Took her a good 6
months to get fully off painkillers. Of course she's older at 86. You
should recover faster.

What sort of surgery did you have?

> The Hogs hair filter is something I got from the outside broadcasting
> department of the BBC in London, England.
>
> I have had this for over 25 years and it still works and looks the same t=
he
> day I had it. It is more like the fur of a beaver (it's not animal) and w=
ith
> an oily texture not unlike a wax jacket or a ducks back, it literally hol=
ds
> the water and sends it away from the body of the mic & jammer.
>
> When I can, I will get some pictures for you.
>
> I will also shop around and ask some of my colleagues back home where I c=
an
> get some for you. It allows me to record in the rain. It does stink a lit=
tle
> afterwards like a wet dog...

Sounds quite different from the Hog's Hair that the movie people use.
That's the air conditioning filter material and would not stop or carry
away rain by itself. It's purpose is to break the large raindrops into
smaller and smaller and do so silently. To keep the rain off the mic
would require a layer of waterproof material under it.

Your's sounds more like a rain cover than this. How does it damp down
the sound of the drops hitting it?

I'd be interested in seeing some photos.