Re: Clock test between HD-P2, 671 and SD722

Subject: Re: Clock test between HD-P2, 671 and SD722
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Thu Jan 4, 2007 1:53 pm ((PST))
Whatever it was, a distant truck causing resonance, perhaps - or the
cut off frequencies - the rumble is so transparent that one can
easily hear and evaluate the noise behind it.

My question is: Is it the NT1A noise?
Because if so, the test says nothing else than that the 671 adds
noise on top of the NT1A noise and that the difference between Tascam
noise and SD noise might be audible, if you feed them both with a lower sig=
nal?

Perhaps you should remake the test with a -20 db pad between the mic
and the recorders?

Klas.

At 21:59 2007-01-04, you wrote:
>Due to the varying background noise level, there is always some
>uncertainty in such kind of serial tests. Nevertheless, from my own
>experience, I can say that the 722 proviodes a significantly lower
>cutoff frequency.
>
>According to the specifications, the 722 cut-off frequency is 10 Hz
>(-0.5 dB):
>http://www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/722_en.pdf
>
>and the HD-P2 cut-off is at 20 Hz (-1.0 dB):
>http://www.tascam.de/en/docs/HD-P2_Eng_1_00.pdf
>
>Note that the -1.0 dB frequency of the SD 722 must be lower than 10 Hz
>(may be 5 Hz?).
>
>There is no information on the steepness of the filters. The SD 722
>also allows to activate higher cut-offs at 40, 80, 160 or 240 Hz @
>12/18/24 dB/oct.
>
>Raimund
>
> > Are you sure? The difference sounds too big for that.
> > At which freq. are the cut off's?? And how much?
> >
> > Klas.
> >
> > At 19:03 2007-01-04, you wrote:
> > >Yes, the difference between the HD-P2 and the SD722 noise levels are
> > >very small. The low-frequency rumble of the 722 section is caused by
> > >its lower cut-off frequency.
> > >
> > >Raimund
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,