Re: Gear

Subject: Re: Gear
From: "Julian Baldwin" julianbaldwin
Date: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:04 am ((PST))
Hej Sveinung,
In order to get the best advice on equipment for your purposes I think it
would be helpful if you could give a little more information about the type
of sound sources you plan to record. Different sound sources require
different microphones and you may need more than one.
For example many 'nature sounds' are often fairly low level and in order no=
to have a high hiss level - particularly in the gaps between the sounds -
you need a microphone with a low self noise. The Sennheiser MKH range (omni=
to hypercardioids) are good in this respect but expect to pay the best part
of GBP 1000 for one! A cheaper alternative for some situations is the R=D8D=
NT1a which is about GBP150 and quiet but may not have the right shape or
pick-up characteristics for your purposes. You need to consider whether you
need omni, cardioid or hypercardioid mics. If you need stereo you will need
two. If you plan to record out-of-doors you will need good wind protection
and this can easily cost GBP 100+ per microphone.

For recording, the current range of HiMD recorders seem to come well
recommended (see other replies) but you could also consider a second hand
portable DAT recorder such as the well-regarded HHB Portadat. You might fin=
a good one for say GBP 700. There is also the HHB Portadisc MiniDisc
recorder which is cheaper and, like the Portadat, has phantom powering for
two mics.

If you can give us a little more information about your requirements I am
sure that there are members here who can help you to find the best gear but
bear in mind that with a budget of GBP 1000 you will have to make some
compromises and perhaps not get top-of-the-range gear - unless it is
second-hand.
Bearing in mind that you are in London, UK, you would be well advised to
choose gear which is readily available in Europe. Some American equipment i=
only available through US retailers who seem unable or unwilling to ship
outside their own borders and servicing may be a problem in the future
anyway - not to mention import duties and VAT on shipments into Europe.

Julian,
England
*******************************
 Gear
From: "sveinung_nygaard"
sveinung_nygaard
Date: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:37 pm ((PST))

Hi!
I am going to do pro quality sound recording of different kinds of sources,
most of these
nature sounds. I wonder if anyboby has view on what microphones to get, and
also other
gear like recorder. I have looked into getting edirol r-09 but fear that th=
preamps are not
good enough. They will anyway not be able to run something like Rode NT5s o=
phantom
power. Any ideas? My budget is around =A31000, and I live in London. Open t=
used gear if
there is anything suitable around.

Sveinung