Re: Gear

Subject: Re: Gear
From: "macmang4125" macmang4125
Date: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:42 am ((PST))
--- In  "sveinung_nygaard"
<> wrote:

> Hi!
> I am going to do pro quality sound recording of different kinds of
sources, most of these
> nature sounds. I wonder if anyboby has view on what microphones to
get, and also other
> gear like recorder. I have looked into getting edirol r-09 but fear
that the preamps are not
> good enough. They will anyway not be able to run something like Rode
NT5s on phantom
> power. Any ideas? My budget is around =A31000, and I live in London.
Open to used gear if
> there is anything suitable around.
>
> Sveinung

Hi Sveinung

Sony recently brought out their latest hi-md minidisc machine the MZ
RH1, this can record in linear PCM 44.1Khz 16 bit. This has some very
good mic pre-amps in it and can be bought for around =A3200 GBP. Do an
internet search, or are you near London? As a wander along Tottenham
Court Road trying the numerous shops along that road can often produce
some very good prices.
I managed to pick up a Sony MZ NH900 (another very good hi-md machine)
on ebay for =A3100 brand new, so that is another option. The Audio
Technica AT 3032 omni mics I have found on ebay, again new for =A399
each and an Art Phantom II box for around =A346 on ebay.
So hi-md =A3200, Art Phantom II =A346 and a pair of Audio Technica
AT-3032's =A3198, total cost around =A3444 for a stereo rig. You would
need some good windshields for the 3032's. Which you can either make
yourself out of faux fur or look at the Rycote Softies. You would need
a medium hole 5 cm softie around =A360 each, brining the total to =A3564
plus some cables.

Link to Sony MZ-RH1:
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?article=3D1143471806570&site=
=3Dodw_en_GB

Link to Audio Technica AT3032's:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/de35250f2f1be27e/index.html

Also look at Rob Danielson's web site which is here:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/

Especially his info on Hi-MD which is here:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

Also look at the info on the Audio Technica AT3032's on there as well.

Hope that helps you.

Phil