Re: Bird Song Computer Game

Subject: Re: Bird Song Computer Game
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:02 am ((PST))
Great I enjoyed it!
It would be great if it should be possible to play withe three combinations=
:
name - song - image, maybe with the option to show the names on the
images for the very beginners... like me!

in my case I'm more experienced with songs and have difficulties in
recognizing birds from their photographs...
I more easily link songs to names rather than songs (or names) to images...

Gianni

At 05.41 13/12/2006, you wrote:

>Friends:
>
>I've posted a .zip file that has a demo version of a bird song game that
>I've been developing. The file takes a while to download (its a bit over
>30 MB !!) and it requires that a Java Runtime Environment be installed
>on your computer. Other than that, it should be easy to run and easy to
>modify. The URL is
>
><http://math.uc.edu/~pelikan/Dora/BirdSongGame.zip>http://math.uc.edu/~pel=
ikan/Dora/BirdSongGame.zip

>The game selects photos of birds (currently from the 52 species supplied
>with the program) and shows them on the computer screen. Then it plays
>the song of one of the birds and the challenge is for the user to click
>on the picture of the bird that is singing. An announcement is made
>about whether the user's selection was correct or not, and the game
>continues with another selection of birds.
>
>Eventually this game will be used with photos and sounds of common birds
>from a region to help kids learn the names and sounds of birds (and
>hopefully get them interested in birds and the outdoors). But I usually
>distribute more challenging versions of this sort of game to birder
>acquaintances as gifts about this time of year --- something to "do"
>with all the recordings I have sitting around.
>
>I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd try the game and then let me have
>your feedback, suggestions, corrections, and bug reports. Since one of
>the intentions is to make it usable by kids, any observations on how to
>improve the appearance and ease of use of the program would be
>especially helpful.
>
>There's a "read me" document packaged with the game that explains how
>you can use the program with your own sounds and pictures if you like.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Steve P.

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>11/12/2006 16.32

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel         +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921