Re: microphone stands in the field

Subject: Re: microphone stands in the field
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Dec 2, 2006 10:00 am ((PST))
Posted by: "Mark Fischer"

> So, I am putting together a new recording setup, and was wondering if
> I could ask, what do you use to hold your microphone(s)? All that I am
> able to find (on the web) is studio gear, not really appropriate for
> sticking in the mud out here on Sherman Island. Do you make your own,
> or is something more appropriate for the outdoors available? I'm not
> above cobbling something together if I have to, but thought I might
> ask the list, see what other people are doing.

I use several different stands when I'm not hand holding the mics.

First off I use a tall light stand for high work (17'):
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/tall.tripod.1.jpg
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/tall.tripod.2.jpg

Light stands are heavier duty than mic stands. This stand would require
weighting if it was windy, particularly with the parabolic. Light
breezes are not a problem, however. I often set up this stand with the
SASS/MKH-20 overnight when I'm camping in the truck.

I machined a small adapter block to clamp onto the standard light stand
coupling that attaches the mic. You can see that adapter block on my M/S
page:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/ms_setups.html

I also have a clamp on stainless steel mast of 4' height that I can
clamp onto the roof bars. That's my own machined couplings mounted in
the tubing and those go into a standard studio clamp. The top of the
mast fits the same coupling as the one I use on the light stand.

For shorter stands I have a couple standard photography tripods, Bogen
3021B Pro and a Unilock System Major 16 along. Either will hold a mic
just fine. The Unilock is made for field conditions and can even be set
up in a fair depth of water. Again, a thread converter is necessary for
the mics. The standard mic stand thread is unique to mics, 5/8" X 27tpi
so very often conversion is needed. I managed to get taps and dies in
the custom sizes, so can make my own converters. Most of my mic setups
will fit a 3/8" thread, which is easier to find.