Re: microphone stands in the field

Subject: Re: microphone stands in the field
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Fri Dec 1, 2006 5:12 pm ((PST))
Hi Mark ---

My set up isn't as fancy as what most people use, I imagine.

If I'm not hand-holding a parabola, I'm making a binaural or an A-B
stereo recording.

I use standard PVC pipe and rubber-band devices to hold the microphones,
with optional  foam that fits over the microphone and optional
cage-and-fabric that fits over the PVC and microphone assembly.

I bolt or clamp the PVC holders to a strip of wood about 4 feet long.
It, in turn, is attached to the top of a tripod that would otherwise be
used to a spotting score. Wood sags but is much better than the metal
bar I used originally. This set up lets me adjust the inter-microphone
distance as much as I feel I need and also provides support for the mic
cables  --- by clamping them to the wooden strip and/or tripod.

As I use only omni microphones (since I only have 2 microphones) the
home-made mounts and home-made wind protections have been sufficient. I
hardly, if ever, have handling/mount noise and no wind noise as
long as it isn't too windy ;-)

In short, I'd suggest you try some homemade stuff and see how it works
before investing in other stuff. Certainly the ergonomics of the
commercial mounts are far superior, but I've never experienced an actual
need for them.

Cheers!

Steve P