Re: MD to PC - any news?

Subject: Re: MD to PC - any news?
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:39 pm ((PST))

On 11/2/06, { brad brace } <> wrote:

> Fortunately, M-Audio makes a "CO3 box" that can strip the
> vile copy-management code from your files.

Fwiw for the archives there is no relationship between Sony using DRM on
their NetMD and HiMD disks -- and the SCMS copy protection bit in SPDIF --
to my knowledge all prosumer or pro decks with SPDIF ignore the SCMS bit
anyway.

The Serial Copy Management System is an attempt to prevent people from
making second-generation digital copies using SPDIF/TOSlink in realtime
digital dubbing.

While I'm pretty sure Sony's MD decks respect that bit on theit digital
inputs, their portable MD gear (of all generations) does not have
SPDIF/TOSlink digital outputs anyway, so this bit is not at issue.

The problem with transfering recordings from HiMD to a PC is that the
recordings are secreted away in a proprietary closed file system on the dis=
and transfered, encrypted, to your PC, at which point Sony's software will
unlock the files for you. As oft-noted, you can transfer new recordings mad=
with your HiMD, or original generaton MD recordings, this way, but not
NetMD-mode recordings -- which hopefully one would not have made in the
field anyway, since they have higher compression rates than original MD.

The fantasy is that Sony will someday update HiMD to place recordings in th=
unprotected USB-storage-device mounting disk partition, where they could be
simply dragged/dropped to any computer at will -- and which might be
recoverable in the event of a disk/TOC failure. :/

As I've said, I'm not holding my breathe, but never say never -- I would
never have expected them to update HiMD to allow updating of old MD
recordings either!

 best,
  aaron

--