Re: Mini Disc repair

Subject: Re: Mini Disc repair
From: "Roy Beckham" royefinch
Date: Wed Nov 8, 2006 1:20 pm ((PST))
>  Good luck! The thing that made this work is the way the Sony home decks
> will save the ToC information upon loss of power, so that it can be
> written to disc when power is restored. I do not know if the portables
> work the same way, but no reason they might not

Thanks Lou. I'll give the home remedy a go first and see if it yields
any results before sending the disc out.

> I have the old MD edit/transfer system from that company and have
> recovered conventional MDs multiple times -- but AFAIK HiMD will not
> be similarly recoverable.

Aaron,
What is AFAIK? (Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the terminology in
this field). Since I'm Mac based the recording was made in uncompressed
PCM mode and not the compressed ATRAC mode. Is this what you were
referring to?

> Did you for sure let it write the ToC after recording? If the deck is
> jiggled or interrupted while writing the ToC it will be unreadable..

Lou,

I set the recorder up and went back to bed. Some time later after it was
finished I brought the unit back in. I locked the disc and checked the
recording. Upon returning from the trip I checked all the recordings
again. I discovered the new error as I was transferring all files to the
computer for backup and storage. So it was working at one time, but then....

-Roy

p.s. Eastern Whipbird from Queensland Australia. Obviously from one of
the good discs.

http://www.efinch.com/whipbird.mp3

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,