Ever feel like recording is invasive?

Subject: Ever feel like recording is invasive?
From: "Toby Sinkinson" tobysinkinson
Date: Sun Oct 1, 2006 10:50 am (PDT)
Last night I had an unusual experience while recording elk in a
meadow.  I waited until late to start recording, when fewer cars and
planes would be heard.  Sitting in the meadow in the dark, and using a
shotgun mic I could hear incredible details.  I haven't used the
shotgun in a while and didn't realize I had the headphone amp really
high so everything was a bit exaggerated, but for the first time while
recording in nature I felt really out of place.  Images of the
photographers lining the road all day snapping off pictures came back
into mind, and I started thinking about the lack of privacy of these
animals.

I realize my thinking involves a bit of anthropomorphising, but the
feeling came on a gut level not an intellectual one...

Most of the time while recording in settings like these, I feel deeply
aware of the inherent good about listening especially in places like
these.  On so many levels, recording fills me with a difficult to
describe inspiration.

Of course, when I first pressed play, unaware of how much I was
amplifying distant sounds, I heard the sound of an elk charging.  In
the dark, with headphones I had the experience of this elk running
over me.  I was completely intimidated; it is hilarious now to think
about, but I am wondering if others have ever felt that recording was
invasive?

Thanks for thoughts,

Toby