Re: Mystery Sound - Oregon

Subject: Re: Mystery Sound - Oregon
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:57 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "John Hartog"

> The ones on Heart Mountain at Hot Spring Camp about three miles south
> of the refuge headquarters are nice =96 especially the natural pool
> hidden a short walk beyond the walled-in pool.  I didn't make it for
> that late night soak I anticipated: a nasty head cold that hit me last
> Tuesday sure put a damper on my energy.

I've not been to that one, I'll keep it in mind if I ever get the chance.

> It was good to get back there to Guano Creek; to the spot I recorded
> the last-20-seconds-of-tape glimpse of Great Horned owls two years
> ago.  I'm not sure if I got any clean recordings of the owls this
> time.  I set up to record in some likely spots away from our camp, but
> the owls decided to do their calling from the trees surrounding our
> camp. Sure was nice.

I have great horned owls in my back woods every year. I hope they are
not too offended that another spot they like at the other end of my
property is chewed up for a subdivision. I'm not sure they nest in the
woods or nearby, but they have been steady about turning up. I know that
redtail hawks nest back there. Every year we get to watch the new hawks
figuring out where the handle is on prey in our front field. Or just
sorting out the fine art of flying.