Re: Mystery Sound - Oregon

Subject: Re: Mystery Sound - Oregon
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:30 pm (PDT)
--- In  "John Hartog" wrote:

> Nice stuff Walt!

I recorded a bunch there, these are just tiny clips out of much larger
recordings.

> A quick flip through a book and cd say's it's most likely a Great
> Basin Spadefoot.

The one we want it to be is the Columbia Spotted Frog, Lang needs that
recording. Have some frog experts listening to it. I'm not a expert in
frogs from that area so am awaiting the verdict. I'd specificaly swung
out into that area to try and find them for Lang. I did not manage to
see any of the callers.

Did not really look like spadefoot country, more gravel and muck than
the sand they tend to prefer. The Great Basin Spadefoot recordings
I've heard are not quite the same. The range maps I have do put them
in that area. I did not see the right eyeshine for spadefoots, they
have fairly distinct eyeshine at night. I was close enough to lots of
callers to have seen that in my headlamp.

> That is very close to where I am heading to explore soundscapes and
> natural quiet this weekend.  Have any suggestions for quiet places
> without cows in the Warner Valley area?

The spot where I was might do if you have 4X4, the road went way up
into the hills. And the springs are going to be a wildlife attractor.
No formal camping spot there. Just was too soft in the spring to
continue up the road, though this time of year it might be a fine road
even without 4X4. The cows should be higher elevation this time of
year, though moving down. Since it's all open range they can be anywhere.

Also down on 140 there is a big snow park spot with a road heading up
into the high country. When I was there I hit snowdrifts and active
snowfall after only a few miles, but it goes a lot farther. I ended up
camping for the night at the gravel piles below the snow park, it was
after 3AM by then. And recording Pacific Chorus Frogs in the spring
wetlands of that area. I'd also recorded them on the county road
coming down to 140.

The Hart Mtn Antelope Refuge out east of the Warner Valley looked too
wet and snowy for me to try it when I was there. Might be interesting
I'd like to give it a look sometime if I get the chance.

On my way back in June I went through the Malheur area. Lots of
wetlands and so on there. Somewhat more people, however. The road out
of the Warner Valley to the north goes up there. I did a lot of
photography in the wetlands using a Kirk window mount for my big tele
zoom and photographing birds. A few good photos. From there I went out
the SE corner of Oregon into northern Nevada for a few days before
swinging east. Was hard to string together back roads that were open
to head east in Nevada.

The whole area is pretty empty country. Other than some high aircraft
it's not hard to have pretty natural quiet. Especially if you stay off
the paved highways. Of course if there is a hunting season open all
bets are off.