Re: [gear] preamps for field use

Subject: Re: [gear] preamps for field use
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Sep 7, 2006 11:18 am (PDT)
Posted by: "oryoki2000"

> I'm sure I missed some.  Please tell me what preamp you use in the
> field (or would like to use some day!)

I use a Sound Devices MP2, which cost me (used) $450. Cannot understand
why Sound Devices discontinued it.

Not something I put in a pocket, though it would fit in one of my vest
pockets. I use a porta brace case and shoulder strap made for it. As the
Portadisc has a very good pre itself I mostly use the MP2 when I'm going
for max gain of quiet ambiance. So don't tend to cart the MP2 through
the brush that much.

It works just fine for me. I originally choose it for the M/S decoder
which will decode just for headphone monitoring while sending the M/S to
the recorder if wanted. I hardly ever use the decoder routinely anymore,
mostly just monitor the mid in mono when recording M/S. The trouble with
monitoring the stereo is you are too tempted to fiddle with the gain to
adjust the stereo to your liking, which almost always means a weak
recording on one channel, usually the side one. It's more important to
get a good recording of both channels.