Re: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183/power issues

Subject: Re: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183/power issues
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Thu Aug 3, 2006 9:16 pm (PDT)
"That's what/why I was wondering if you'd gone with the pre for some
special reason! :)"

Aaron,

------------------------
I'll just say that I didn't know about the battery modules at all,
thats why I got the preamp.  When I got the mics wired at SP it was my
understanding that the preamp was the necessary partner to thos mics
to properly get a good signal into my FR2.

Does the preamp adjust the impedance too?

Seems like the price difference between 2 battery modules and the
preamp isn't too much anyway.  Now that I think about it, I get the
best results with that preamp when I use no added gain and only adjust
gain on the FR2 [still coming in at the line level inputs though], the
preamp is still doing base line level gain of some sort, but not the
25db or 50db on top of that that it can if the switch is flipped.
When I do 25 or 50db of gain I do have trouble with clipping [with low
frequencies particularly] so I generally avoid it...in fact I always
avoid it.

And BTW everyone, please don't think I am pontificating about these
mics today...I only graciously got this info from Dan and Aaron and am
telling what my experience has been.  They are far more well versed in
these than I am so I defer to them on any and everything.  Thanks guys!

Danny