Re: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183/power issues

Subject: Re: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183/power issues
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Wed Aug 2, 2006 4:47 pm (PDT)
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=161668&is=REG&addedTroughValue=126667_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail
>
>That was the only Shure power supply for the 183s I was aware of and
>as you see, it is also a preamp.

They call it a preamp, but it is really a power supply with a few dB
of gain. It puts out mic level. A real preamp would put out line
level.

>But this gives +48 whereas my preamp
>give plug-in power, but my 183s were rewired for this by Chris at SP.

It would be powered by the phantom power in your recorder. It sends
PIP to the mics. Unneccessary to have a separate battery preamp when
you have an excellent preamp with phantom in the recorder.

>I am not sure I have seen a "power supply only" for the 183s, but I
>guess there's one out there somewhere.  The 183s come with TA3

TA4

>connectors out of the box and to interface that with a normal Denecke
>phantom power blue box or whatver would require rewiring or some crazy
>adapter at best.

It would require precisely the Shure "preamp" or something like it.
Shure also makes a barrel "preamp" for the 183 that doesn't have the
battery option. I have both versions, and also a couple of Samson
phantom-to-lavalier supplies that also work, tho they need an adaptor
for Shure's mic plug.

-Dan Dugan