Re: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183/power issues

Subject: Re: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183/power issues
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Wed Aug 2, 2006 2:27 pm (PDT)
On 8/2/06, Danny Meltzer <> wrote:
> Well I have no way of directly knowing since I have only heard my
> setup.  I use this:

Fair enough. :) Thought the SP foks might have recommended the pre
over the powering module only for some reason... I'd be curious if you
use the pre just for powering and do all the gain at the SD whether
you can hear a clear difference between the SP pres and the SD ones?

> Aaron didn't we talk about this last winter when I was prepping my
> rig?  You turned me on to the fact that the powering scheme is vital
> for getting the 183s to sound their best.  I have been pleased with my
> setup, I see no reason why a Sound Professionals power supply would be
> much different than a preamp [powerwise that is].  It was my
> understanding, I believe from talking to you Aaron, that the Shure
> powering scheme is not as good as the SP one.  But please note that I

Indeed!

The issue with powering the 183s through the Shure phantom adapters I
read about here (in the forum), someone -- maybe you Jeremiah? --
reported that they notice a distinctly noisier floor using the phantom
adapters than powering via Plug-In Power...

> Now that I am getting into this again I wonder why I didn't get a
> power supply and use the my MP2 as the preamp for my 183s.

That's what/why I was wondering if you'd gone with the pre for some
special reason! :)

Still you are slightly more flexible as it is -- you can always go
into a relatively dumb line level MP3 recorder as a backup etc... :)

 best,
 aaron

--

  www.quietamerican.org