Re: comparing mic specifications...

Subject: Re: comparing mic specifications...
From: "Julius Thyssen" lulligvoorje
Date: Thu Jul 6, 2006 11:57 am (PDT)
"Bruce Wilson" <> wrote:

> We're smart guys, and there is a lot of experience here.
> Shouldn't it be possible to organize our thoughts
> into recommended mics for different applications,
> divided into cost classes? I propose we make the dang list.

A wiki could be good for that.

> It's not like we'll put crappy mics in the list that
> will stick someone with a mic they can't use.
>
> Applications like:
>
> Ambient soundscapes (wide-angle, low volume)
> Individual animals (narrow-angle, low volume)
> Cityscapes (mid to high volume)

For all these, and if you're a newbie, and want
to have a decent not too expensive starting point,
I can recommend Audio Technica AT899c Subminiatures
like these:
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--56849/

You'll need an optionally filtering amp with it, like:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSB-6

> If not a recommendation list, then a list of people on the
> list willing to be a mentor (or Elmer, as we call them
> in ham radio) either online or for newbies in your area.

To be honest, I can't really get into that mindset.
If you're willing to learn, you'll try and discover things
ALL by yourself. It's usually the best and often only way
you'll learn about recording things.
Most of us never had the internet when we started out,
we might have read a few magazines, but mostly just did it
and tried it all out, spent some money on guesses,
made mistakes buying non-perfect equipment, then tried again,
and so on.

> These topics have (mostly) all been discussed here, but they are
> difficult to find in a search through past messages.

Nobody ever said it would be (or should be) easy..
There's no such thing as 'teaching' a person how to instantly
make decent recordings, you'll learn by doing them, and you'll
need a real good hearing. Not every person out there should be
making audio recordings either. If he/she does not have the
patience in life to find out how things work (without others
doing all the work for them), I doubt he/she will be good at it.
--
Julius B. Thyssen