Re: sound with video

Subject: Re: sound with video
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Jun 8, 2006 8:51 pm (PDT)
At 2:42 AM +0000 6/9/06, cfmspencer wrote:

>I've seen the beachteks at B&H,

Welcome to the list, Clay.

Oryoki's right, too-- about having a separate sound recorder. I
prefer to be able to let my audio "roll" when conditions are right
during a trek and not be generating so many video bits when I'm
really waiting for a sound,.. The word on upcoming HD sound formats
involve more compression. But far be it from me to discourage good
sound with video!

I'm sure Beachtek has different models, but the unit that uses the
camcorder's mic input "power in plug" (PIP) to supply phantom power
is under-impressive. I took a listen to one trying to power-up some
MKH's on a TRV900 and a VX1000 last Fall and rather than mess with it
further, I just scrapped it for an Art Phantom II (at $150 less). You
can bypass the xlr outputs and add a ~14" long unbalanced lead to
a"true" 3.5mm gold plug at the end. You can bolt the Art onto the
base of the camera the same way and glue or bolt a 1/4" think plate
on the bottom side with 1/4"-20 tap for the tripod bolt. With an Art
(or a Rolls PB224), you can start testing the affects of the
camcorder's mic pre and MPGII to hear what it all sounds like.

An MKH-30 would make a light-weight, shotgun M-S pair with your
NTG-2. If that is too rich, you could explore spaced omni's with
AT3032's.  I'm sure you wouldn't be wasting your money or time. The
world could use a lot more camcorders properly dwarfed by low noise
condenser mics. Rob D.