Re: sound with video

Subject: Re: sound with video
From: "Marc Myers" buffymarmoset
Date: Thu Jun 8, 2006 3:32 pm (PDT)
Hi Clay,

First, welcome.

With or without XLR connections, Sony DV and HDV cameras do not record
really outstanding audio. For an expert discussion I suggest you go look
at the audio forum at DV.com. It is good practice to feed most Sony
(really any) DV and HDV camera a line input because the preamps inside
the cameras are nothing to write home about. So, yes you should invest
in a Beachtec, or even better a Soundcraft pre.

The microphones depend on the kind of recording you wish to do and
others here will give you much better advice.

Marc