Re: sound with video

Subject: Re: sound with video
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Jun 9, 2006 10:46 am (PDT)
More gear =3D more exercise? Portability and flash
cards are sparking new recording possibilities in
people's minds, but after a couple of years of
generating material, after truly falling in love
with the practice, you might find yourself
thinking, 'Why did I compromise quality here and
there for  modest convenience?"  Having good mics
(low-noise), adequate sound file saturation,
plenty of power for long takes/hikes, being able
to use a flexible mic array to respond to the
local characteristics-- There are many factors to
consider when building one's first rig, but these
are the usual complaints I hear about after some
time in the field; after comparing their results
to others' results. Often its just a few extra
pounds difference. But, with $50 phantom supply,
you're good to go and learn what that camcorder
can do,...going in stages is smart. Mics are
always the hardest decision.

I've not tried the DXA-6, Beachtek. A few other
more portable phantom supplies I tried that used
1 X 9 volt battery to generate 48 volts DC had
problems, so be alert there. The Rolls/Art
performed much better for me with all PIP units I
tired. There are comparison tests accessible from
my gallery (url below).

If I did have to go to an external pre for some
reason, I'd consider strapping on a separate HiMD
recorder. The DX-10 specs with more noise and 15
dB less gain than the mic/pre "head end" of the
HiMD recorder.  I know video people who come out
of the line ouputs of their strapped HiMD's to
record the audio onto the video when it rolls
(for "sync" or to lessen work in post).  In
between video shots, they're getting better sound
and plenty of it. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts