Re: sound with video

Subject: Re: sound with video
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Thu Jun 8, 2006 7:51 pm (PDT)
--- In  "oryoki2000" <>
wrote:

> My understanding is "HDV" is a standard defined by Sony, Panasonic,
> JVC and Canon for consumer-grade high definition video and audio.
HDV
> has FM radio-quality audio.  It starts as 16/48 PCM, then the audio
> stream is compressed using the lossy MP2 format into a file that is
> 25% of the original's size. Camcorders in this category cost about
$2500.

> There is a "HDV Pro" format that stores audio at 16/48 without the
> lossy compression. This is the same audio as found on the original
> Mini-DV camcorders and DAT audio recorders. HDV Pro camcorders also
> record video at higher resolution, and cost $4000 (and up).
>
> And then there's true high definition audio, which is usually
captured
> with multiple microphone channels at 24/96 and recorded using a
> dedicated audio recorder.  A time code generator keeps the multiple
> audio and video recorders in sync.  Video cameras in this category
> cost $10,000 and up, with lenses a separate expense.
>
> But back to reality...You're unlikely to find too much difference
> between mics if their signal is compressed to MP2 by the camcorder.
> You might take your camcorder to an audio shop and ask to try out a
> few mic models in the store.
>
> If you're interested in capturing ambience, exact time sync is
> probably not required.  So you could supplement the audio captured
by
> the on-camera mic with a pair of mics like the Telinga EM-23 omnis
> that use plug-in power, recording to a minidisc machine or an
> inexpensive Compactflash recorder like the new Edirol R-09.
>
> --oryoki

thanks much for the detailed reply.

I hope the comment about "FM-radio quality" is
a bit of an overstatement to make your point.

Thanks for the reminder about the theoretical
'levels' of difference in audio.

I'm not much of a believer in 'specs' as
they don't always correlate with real world results,
at least on the playback end of the audio reproduction
chain.

I guess I have some homework to do to try this out for
myself on the recording end.

I sure hope that you are wrong about perhaps not being able
to hear the differences between decent mics through the
HDV-A1.  I'll let you know!

I have auditioned quite a few mics at B&H, and the
differences in their soundroom are not subtle.

cheers,
clay