Re: Shotguns for Nature Recording

Subject: Re: Shotguns for Nature Recording
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:16 pm (PDT)
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:

> Posted by: "Mark R."
>
> > Trying to find a good shotgun on a budget.
> >
> > Is it possible?
>
> Since a shotgun provides no gain over a bare mic, only
directivity, a
> shotgun for nature recording must be very high quality so lots of
gain
> can be applied. Below the Sennheiser ME series I'm not sure of any
that
> qualify.

Walt,

presumably you are referring to the low self noise of the ME series
vis-a-vis their price with your comment above.

I have a question/concern about the ME66 in particular. when I
auditioned it, it sounded very 'unnatural' to me, more so than any
of the 5 or so mics I listened to.  by unnatural, I mean, it did not
reproduce sounds the way they actually sound.

the inexpensive Rode NTG-2, which I bought as a general purpose on-
camera mic for 'event' recording and the like - sounded much more
like the MKH 416, both of which sounded 'real' to me, as compared to
the ME66.

do others have this impression/experience with the ME66?

thanks
Clay